Emerging Applications Set To Drive Conductive Ink Market
By Mat Dirjish
IDTechEx says the 2020 market for conductive ink will garner $2.4 billion. According to the research firm, 95% of the ink represented by that figure goes into three applications:
- printed bus bars and fingers on PV solar cells
- exterior automotive heating applications (defoggers)
- touch screen edge electrodes
That may soon change as new applications for conductive ink are beginning to step into the commercial spotlight. These include:
- Material opportunities in 5G applications, i.e., by 2025 the value of 5G connections globally may be worth $303 billion.
- Material opportunities for power semiconductors in electric vehicles. Electric-vehicles makers will require 126 tons of die attach material by 2025.
- Printed heaters in autonomous and/or electric vehicles.
- 3D electronics to improve human machines interfaces.